Friday 7 March 2008

Enigma of art's missing man

"Don’t pretend you don’t know the world that you paint. Don’t pretend you’re in a bungalow with a wife and two kids and a couple of dogs, when it’s not like that. People prefer that. I’m not going to stand up there and say one thing when I mean another.

"People can sense that about my work. As much as I’m blamed for it, I try not to make it dramatic, I try not to make people think, ‘That looks a fabulous life’. If you look at the faces, they are not happy. I have gone through long periods of my life when I haven’t been happy at all, but for some reasons that kind of emotional instability does trigger off ideas."


That's from an interview with Jack Vettriano, which I wrote for the Scotsman in 2003. It's a decent piece and it's here Jack Vettriano interview

No comments: