The Times, March 17, 2011
A British surgeon who spent two weeks working in battlefield hospitals in support of Libyan rebels has returned home with horrifying evidence of the mass killings carried out by Colonel Muammar Gaddafi’s regime.
Abdulmajid Ali worked round the clock as he made his way westwards from Tobruk into the heart of the conflict, treating hundreds of men, women and children who had been attacked by Colonel Gaddafi’s mercenaries with bullets, missiles and anti-aircraft guns.
Last night he called on Britain and the UN to establish a no-fly zone over the country immediately, as he presented evidence, including photographs, of atrocities committed by Colonel Gaddafi’s forces against civilians.
At the town of Beida, the mortuary was full, he said. “Children had been shot as they stood on balconies watching a peaceful demonstration. The snipers were well trained. You can see that all the victims were hit in a vital place: the head, the carotid artery or the chest.”
Some of the victims he encountered, including members of his sister-in-law’s family, are pictured only as assemblages of body parts after they were blown up in an attack by Colonel Gaddafi’s forces on a munitions dump at al-Rajma, near Benghazi.
Dr Ali’s evidence backs reports that anti-aircraft guns were turned on the crowds in Benghazi when protests erupted on the streets of Libya’s second city. The images show human remains, burnt and charred.
“Believe me, as a surgeon, I will never overcome these sights,” Dr Ali said. “I have seen horrors, things I never thought I would live to see. These images will stay with me the rest of my life.”
Read more at Timesonline. Picture by James Glossop